PenUltimate Press does accept unsolicited manuscripts.
What We Publish
- Penultimate Press publishes creative nonfiction, nonfiction and poetry for adult readers.
- Works of fiction include novels, novellas, and full-length short story collections. We do not publish genre fiction, that is, romance, science fiction, mysteries, crime or westerns.
- Works of nonfiction include books that focus on contemporary social or cultural issues; minority issues; history or biography; or women’s issues.
If you would like for us to consider a book you have written in one of the aforementioned areas, please adhere to the following submission guidelines:
- Format your manuscript in Word; use Times (font size 12); double-space the manuscript and number the pages.
- Attach a cover page with the title of the manuscript, your name, credentials and affiliations (if any), and your contact information: postal address, phone number, fax (if any) and e-mail address.
- Include a brief cover letter that introduces your manuscript and describes its marketability. Include a brief biographical paragraph in the letter
- Manuscripts will not be returned. Query letters with sample chapters or short stories are accepted.
- We accept poetry submissions twice a year, in April and October. If you would like for us to consider your work, please send a query letter and include:
- A brief introduction of your manuscript and a description of its marketability;
- A brief paragraph stating relevant biographical information.
- Ten to fifteen pages of poetry as samples from your manuscript.
Mail your manuscript or query letter to:
PenUltimate Press, Inc.
6900 Delmar Blvd.
University City, MO 63130-4836
Send it as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please allow two to three months for a response to sample submissions. Full-length manuscripts take longer to review; we do our best to respond to them within four to six months.